Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Audrey's Bacterial Adventure

Hello all!

I'm a little bit late to blogging - it's been a busy couple of weeks! My name is Audrey Berenson and I'm beginning my final year here at UNH! I am a senior Biomedical Science: Medical Microbiology major with a passion for bacteria.

Last week I went out on a boat in Great Bay to assist with Vibrio bacteria surveillance. It was a gorgeous day, though it was certainly windy! While we were boating across the Bay, I got to see a hawk, some blue herons, and a couple of seals flopping around. We collected plankton, water, suspended solids, sediment, and oysters at two different sites and analyzed them in the lab that afternoon, as well as over the following week. Today we are wrapping up the final Polymerase Chain Reactions and gel electrophoresis to determine the concentration of Vibrio spp. in each sample.

I also got to attend the NH Sea Grant BBQ two weeks ago and meet the other interns, which was fantastic! I'm looking forward to learning more about their projects.

Until next time!
Audrey Berenson

No comments:

Post a Comment