Saturday, August 4, 2018

Almost Done :'(

Hi Friends,

It's that time of the year when summer is wrapping up and all the people in school get this sad feeling knowing that soon summer will end and they will have to go back to school again.  I am getting a similar feeling right now.  My Doyle fellowship is coming to a close, and even though I still have a week left, I have that feeling knowing that something great is about to end.  I had the end of the year party for the entire UNH Extension program on Thursday.  It was fun to see everyone again because a few weeks ago we had seen everyone's presentation and got to know how their projects were coming.

On another note, this past week was also fun because a class of college kids around my age came to tour the lab and I happened to be outside while they were doing it, so I was able to talk to them for a little bit about what I had been doing this summer.  There was a big soft shelled crab that had just molted the night before, so I brought him out for them to see.  Soft shelled crabs are good to show people because they are docile and can't even open their claws to try to pinch you (because they are so exhausted from molting).  I brought one out and was instantly met with many people trying to grab him and touch him.  I passed him around and people loved him! They were taking pictures with him and petting him and asking so many questions about him as if he was a cute little puppy.  He was a great specimen and behaved very well!  The kids were well educated about this subject and asked intelligent questions and always seemed very interested.  It was a great crowd to talk to and I enjoyed sharing my story about the summer and the knowledge I had learned!


This was a picture of the molted male right before he became famous for the day!


~Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment