Friday, July 20, 2018

Changing It Up A Little

Hello!

This week I am blogging about a little change of pace in my work day.  Today, I, along with my boss Gabby, went over to my fellow intern's house (Mark) and learned how to make crates to keep the crabs in once we catch them!  Mark is a part-time lobsterman so he makes crates like these for traps for his lobsters, so he has all the knowledge and power tools to make them efficiently.  We use a wire/mesh type material to cut, bend, and pin together to make a crate that holds 18 or 36 (depending on the size) crabs in it separately at once.  We like to call it "crab condos." :) We put them in this type of housing to monitor them when we think they might be getting close to molting.  It makes it easy for us to quickly check on them and note when anything happens.

So, we spent the entire morning cutting the pieces to fit what and where we needed using this air pressurized wire cutter (quite fun once you get the hang of it).  Then we used this big wire bender to bend the wire to make sides for the crates.  Then we used these industrially strong staples to bend around the different parts of the crates to hold them together.  That was my favorite part...for some reason it was relaxing for me!  I have to admit though, it was hard work and there were lots of sore hands and arms after they were all done!  We celebrated by going to a new restaurant that just opened (in Kittery, ME) by Mark's house.  It was very cute and the food was tasty and one of my favorite parts was that the to-go box they gave me was 100% biodegradable and made from natural fibers!  So, overall it was a good day, and we might end up going back and making more crates if we find we like how they work!

~Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment