Friday, July 27, 2018

Green Crab Hunt with a Summer Camp

Hi Everyone,

This week was fun because I got to help some kids attending a camp at the New England Aquarium do some stuff with green crabs!  On Wednesday, the camp, which is an environmental/marine based camp, came to the Jackson lab (where I work out of).  I was working outside, sorting a crate of female green crabs. They were supposed to be doing things with oysters on Wednesday but as they walked by, they saw the crabs I was going through, and some of the kids became more interested with the crabs than with the oysters!  I made some friends who decided they didn't want to deal with the oysters and just play with the crabs instead. 

The next day, Gabby, Mark, and I led a green crab hunt with the same camp at Pierce Island! We all split into groups and the friends I had made from the day before were great helpers as we searched for crabs!  All in all, we ended up finding almost 200 green crabs in total and about 20 softies (soft shell crabs)! We ended up giving the soft shelled crabs to the Joinery, a restaurant nearby, and hopefully they end up on the specials menu for the weekend! We shall see!

~Nicole

No comments:

Post a Comment