Tuesday, July 9, 2019

Completely meant to be doing this along the way, but here goes my first blog as a Doyle Fellow!

Working with the green crabs has been an incredible experience so far, especially within my focus for the project. My goals have been production and marketing of the soft shell green crabs along with outreach and education here and there. By identifying crabs that are considered to be pre-molts and placing them under observation, there are certain signs of the molting process that appear over time.


Once these crabs have molted they become extremely soft, which makes them more desirable by restaurants and thats where outreach and marketing comes in so that the public begins a demand for them!

I've lead groups of children through intertidal waters on crab hunts, talked with chefs, spread information at a farmers market, pulled crab traps across the coastline of New Hampshire and even driven to Brunswick in Maine already and it feels like were only getting started!

Only half way through my time as a Doyle Fellow and I've gained immeasurable experience as well as confidence within my field. 

No comments:

Post a Comment