Monday, July 29, 2019

Marine Education Fellowship

Hello! For the past 8 weeks, the Sea Grant office has been abuzz with National Marine Educators Association (NMEA) conference planning. I couldn’t really describe a “regular” day in my marine education fellowship because no two days have been alike. I’ve ventured through Portsmouth to meet with businesses and collect generous coupons for our conference attendees (one business donated 700 free beers!). I’ve been out on a cruise around Great Bay with 30 passionate adults who wanted to learn science and willingly collected water samples, discussed pH, and analyzed real-time data on their smartphones. I’ve been developing interactive marine science curriculum, which included playing with play-dough, reaching out to some of my favorite former teachers, and brainstorming with some incredible marine science educators at the NMEA conference. I’ve been working alongside amazing volunteers, the Marine Docent educators, many of whom are retired teachers who cannot simply give up teaching or stop themselves from learning new things everyday. I’ve been peacefully working in Excel by myself one day and then meeting dozens of incredible people from all over the world the next.

Look below to see more! I've posted updates from my fellowship in chronological order, starting with "Gyotaku and Ocean Acidification".

~Maggie :)


No comments:

Post a Comment