Monday, July 29, 2019

Marine Careers!

Weeks 3 & 4:

My fellowship started with super fun events and now I’m working on a lot of research projects. I have my own desk at Sea Grant where I can sit and work. It’s also right on the way to the water fountain, so people are always walking by to say hello. I’ve been working on a marine careers website, which involves doing some research to identify good contributors to the website and crafting some survey questions to be sent to future Sea Grant collaborators. We’d like to update the website, which has been stagnant for years, and get some help from other Sea Grant programs who have connections to people with cool marine jobs. The website is awesome and, since I’ve spent plenty of time on there, I’ve gotten some great career advice from the profiles.

I’ve also started working on high school marine science curriculum, which has been a great opportunity to get creative. It’s tough to make the lessons interactive when the students can’t actually go out to the intertidal, so I’ve been brainstorming the best ways to make it fun (play-dough? Building a model with boxes? Fun coloring projects?). Stay tuned because I haven’t totally figured it out yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment